Summer is upon us! If this is your first Summer wearing hair extensions, don't worry. You don't have to pass on outdoor activities just because you're worried about protecting your hair. You can still enjoy the beach, and even water sports, with some preparation. Here is how I pack my bag for a summer day.
There's no need to hide indoors! With a little preparation, you'll be ready for sun, sand and sea! I'm not just a certified hair extensions stylist, I am a believer! I wear hair extensions year round and over the years, I have my beauty routine down to a science. In fact, I've got a bag stashed in my car so that I'm always ready.
Pack a Beauty on the Beach Bag
Here's what I ALWAYS carry with me.
- Spray Bottle with CLEAN water. No salt or chlorine.
- Spray Conditioner
- Brush or Detangling Comb
- Hair Ties
Here's my routine before the beach:
The idea is to keep your hair free of tangles, prevent hair from getting fried in the sun, and keep it moisturized. A conditioner not only makes for an easier comb out to avoid breakage, the UV protection safeguards your color.
- Braid your hair. One braid, multiple braids, whatever will secure the length of your hair and keep it from blowing in the wind because that can cause the hair to tangle.
- Dampen. Use the spray bottle with plain water to spritz your braided hair to get it nice and damp. Starting with damp hair is key to absorbing the leave-in conditioner. (Ever trying soaking up a spill with a hard, dry sponge?)
- Condition. Apply a leave in conditioner to your damp hair. Spray conditioner is best for an even distribution. Look for one with UV sun protection. Here are two products that I use:
Unite 7 Seconds Detangler Great for chemically treated hair, this leave in spray seals the cuticle and protects from heat and UV rays. Tangles are literally gone in 7 seconds! A 2 ounce bottle is about $10.
Oribe Run Through Detangling Primer. Color and keratin safe, this fine misting spray seals the cuticle and protects from heat and UV rays, leaving hair silk soft. A 1.7 ounce bottle is around $20
Swim, walk on the beach, kayak...carry on with your day. Reapply your conditioner just as you would reapply your sunscreen throughout the day.
Tip for my blonde hair friends: be careful when applying other summer products like spray on sunscreen or bronzing spray. A chemical reaction can cause your blonde hair extensions to stain! Yikes! If you apply these types of products, avoid contact with your extensions when spraying. If a friend is applying hers, don't stand downwind! Prevent hair from making contact with your skin after you've applied. Keep your hair off your shoulders. Wear it up in a cute messy bun.
Here's my routine at the end of the day:
- Unbraid hair and loosely detangle with your fingers
- Let your head breathe
- Shampoo hair with a detox shampoo to remove any product buildup
Hair turned coral despite your best efforts?
Don't stress. There is an in-salon treatment by HairTalk to remedy product, hard water and chlorine staining. Ask about Revive Demineralizing Remedy. There is also Malibu C Hard Water Wellness Hair Remedy which does the same.